Thursday 22 September 2016

Brian Clough


About a year ago I was accused of being a 'loose cannon'. The accusation came from a person that was a public sector employee and knew nothing other than doing things by the book.

I took the accusation as a badge of honour.

I've been my own man for a long time. 15 years running your own business makes you a little single minded and gives you strong opinions on doing things that you have a track record of.

'We talk about it for twenty minutes and then we decide I was right.'

Brian Clough died 12 years ago this week. He was the best manager England never had, and the man that made the unfashionable clubs of Nottm Forest and Derby County not only the best club in England but European Champions to boot - long before Leicester City managed half that feat some 35 years later.

'They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job.'

Clough was a true maverick, he did things in his own style, and didn't mess around with idiots outside of the TV studio. Some would say he was controversial. Back in the 70's there wasn't much actual controversy about Clough's comments. He was honest. He truly believed he was good, and he proved it was the case time and time again at the City and Baseball Grounds.

At a time that England has ended up with Sam Allardyce, Cloughie is sorely missed. One of the few men to have been a prolific player - netting 267 times as a forward in 296 games - as well as a prolific manager, his self belief - or arrogance as some saw it - was the only thing that ultimately prevented him from taking the England job.

Don Revie hated him, the FA disliked him, and he was on a hiding to nothing every time the job came up.

'I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one.'

When they wanted to build a statue to Clough, I contributed. The small cast figure I received for my money sits above my TV right now. Two biographies sit on the bookshelf, and a picture of the great man is in my kitchen.

'That Sinatra, he's met me, you know'

Ol' Blue Eyes was a lucky bugger...

No comments:

Post a Comment